Once known as the Ararat Lunatic Asylum, this place was used as a psychiatric institution for 140 years. It was was commissioned in 1860 to accommodate the growing number of ‘lunatics’ in the colony of Victoria, and closed in 1998. Tours of the creepy complex, which has around 70 abandoned buildings, are now held every Sunday. Nightime ghost tours are run regularly at the asylum. 

First published on . Updated on .

By Time Out Melbourne editors   |  

Aradale Asylum details

Address
Heath Street

Ararat 3377

Telephone 03 5352 3357

Aradale Asylum map

Readers' comments, reviews, hints and pictures

Community guidelines

blog comments powered by Disqus
 


© 2007 - 2014 Time Out Group Ltd. All rights reserved. All material on this site is © Time Out.