Seven things you didn't know about Todd Rundgren...
1. He had an accidental hit in Australia with ‘Can We Still Be Friends’? And yet... “I couldn’t write a commercial song to save my life.”
2. He’s produced a plethora of records, including Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell, on which he played all the gnarly lead breaks... “I did get a cheque once for three quarters of a million dollars.”
3. He was in the Nazz, the first American Anglophile power pop band... “We supported the Doors in Philly before we had a record out. I didn’t buy that whole Jim Morrison pretending you’re shot thing. It’s like having a nap onstage.”
4. He lives in Hawaii and reckons it's like Alabama... “Well, I characterise it as going to Alabama ten years ago. All the best TV programmes are over by eight-o’clock [time difference] and there’s nothing to do but go to bed. I was the first person on the island to get high speed internet because no one had thought about it before.”
5. He reckons the coolest studio gadget is... "My first impulse is to say LSD."
6. He’s a techno-wiz but doesn’t own a mobile phone. “People say we don’t know where you’ll be. We can’t get hold of you. That’s one of the reasons I don’t own a cell phone.”
7. He has surprisingly, not scored any substantial movies. “You really have to commit to live in LA, and they usually fall back on the usual suspects. Out of sight out of mind.”