Das Kaffee Haus in Manly turns five this October and will be hosting special birthday celebrations along with the usual Oktoberfest revels...
- There'll be pretzel and bier specials - a tasty pretzel plus a Maisel Original, Krystal or Flensburger Dunkel pils
- Laneway drinks on the barrels
- Random Schnappy Hour, with schnapps specials
- Live local laneway music on Friday nights, and weekend brunch featuring the best of Manly music talent
- It's back! Jacket potato, sour cream and chives with a variety of fillings
- Schnitzel special Tuesday night - with haus wine/bier
- Brunch with an amazing eggs Benedict - salmon and mushroom or spinach and ham
Das Kaffee Haus is a hole-in-the-wall café-turned-bar with an Austro-German theme. Owner and chef Christopher Knuth is all about creating a homely atmosphere complete with hearty food and drink.
There's friendly, reassuringly efficient German service. Almost as reassuring (though initially worrying) are the hammering noises coming from the tiny kitchen galley - a sure sign your schnitzel is being made the proper way. Bring a few hungry friends and make sure you wear slightly looser lederhosen, because the servings are generous. There are value-for-money specials incorporating the monthly special beer or wine, served with your choice of flop-over-the-plate schnitzel, bratwurst with sauerkraut, or slow-cooked goulash with mash. Chase it all down with a schnapps. Unlike the overly sweetened varieties available in Australia, this stuff is sure to warm your insides and put hairs on your chest.
There are Aussie beers and wines on offer, but you can't visit without sinking a few German beers. For a self-proclaimed ‘bierhaus', Das serve up surprisingly few imported varieties; fortunately, they're all the right ones. A succinct collection of light and dark ales including Maisel Kristal and Flensburger Pilsner come in two sizes - huge and gigantic - and do keep an eye out for occasional special brews that arrive fresh from the motherland.
Time Out promotion