This modern building stands on one of the most historic spots in Sydney, site of the first Government House, built in 1788 by Governor Arthur Phillip and home to the first nine governors of NSW. In 1983 archaeologists unearthed the original footings of the house, which had survived since the building’s 1846 demolition: these remains are now a feature at the museum. Run by the Historic Houses Trust and opened in 1995, the MOS offers a mix of state-of-the-art installations and nostalgic memorabilia – it’s definitely worth a visit. A giant video spine spans the full height of the building and charts the physical development of the city; elsewhere a trade wall features goods on sale in Sydney in the 1830s. This area was the first point of contact for the indigenous Cadigal people and the First Fleet, so the museum also explores colonisation, invasion and contact. The Cadigal Place gallery honours the clan’s history and culture, while outside the museum the Edge of the Trees sculpture by Fiona Foley and Janet Laurence symbolises that first encounter as the Cadigal people hid behind trees and watched officers of the First Fleet struggle ashore.